I was interested in the Hofstede Dimensions so I thought I'd add more:
Hofstede's Five Dimensions of Culture -
individualism v. collectivism
power distance
uncertainty avoidance
masculinity v femininity
long-term/short-term orientation
Our culture is definitely on the individualism side of the spectrum and I see this at my job where everyone has pretty much the same job in my department and it's up to us to get our part done, we're monitored on our individual accomplishments as well as the group's.
The power distance in our culture seems to be rather low, we call our supervisors or managers by their first names a lot of the time.
Uncertainty Avoidance makes human resource management and forecasting so important in our culture, we don't like to be unsure about our future for the most part and we want to be prepared for what COULD happen.
What are some other things that we as human resource managers could do to deal with uncertainty avoidance? What are some of today's issues with the change in masculinity v. femininity in difference occupations? Do we still have a big issue with gender differences?
Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment