Thursday, January 14, 2010

Chapter 2 Discussion - Psychological Contract/Flexibility

I was really interested in the idea of a psychological contract. I find it so interesting that people aren't staying in the same job as long as they used to in past generations. People used to stay in their jobs their whole lives and now I can't imagine staying at the same job for more than a few years unless there is opportunity for growth. I like the idea of companies working with employees to train them and offer job experiences for future jobs. Companies know full well that people aren't going to stick around for long, and most of the time the company wouldn't be able to keep people around anyway for very long due to changes in technology, skill requirements, mergers, layoffs and organizational restructering. I think people now see there are a lot of opportunities and we are a generation that likes our choices, whether its with food, clothing, music or our jobs. We see the choices and want to sample each one and see how it works for us.

For myself, I have a difficult time thinking of a job I would want to do for the rest of my life other than be a parent/spouse. I get bored easily and seek out new and more exciting opportunities just because they are out there ready for the taking. I know in the economy we have right now we all have to think more about keeping the jobs we have, but luckily so many employers have seen that we need flexible schedules because of family, school and other out of work activities.

I think that its important to have some quid pro quo in the workplace, the employer will offer better benefits, training, job experience, and in turn the employees will work hard, maintain a good morale, provide good if not excellent customer service and loyalty.

How do you think this type of work environment can be created or maintained in an atmosphere with the alternative work arrangements that are popping up in many organizations?

No comments:

Post a Comment