http://www.hrlegalnews.com/will-obama-make-sick-days-mandatory/#more-1263
This article is about a bill that is in the House of Representatives that may require all companies with at least 15 employees to offer their full-time employees 7 paid sick days. This would include taking off time to care for a "family member", which can be anyone with a relationship that is equivalent to a family member. If a company already has a policy in place that is equivalent to the time required by the bill. Companies would not be able to lower other PTO in order to off-set the costs of the extra paid sick leave.
Apparently this was kicked out of the House a few years ago, and now our dear President Obama is trying to get this through again and is backing it with gusto. Most states have already attempted to make sick leave mandatory but all attempts have failed completely. There are a few cities, three that were listed in the article; Milwaukee, Washington, D.C, and San Francisco, that approved the mandatory paid sick leave.
I think that this is going to, hopefully, fail again in the House. This would incur a lot of financial issues to a lot of smaller companies, let alone the larger ones. I like the idea of paid sick leave, and at the job I have I believe we do get some paid sick time, but I don't like the idea of the government sticking their noses in every nook and cranny of our lives when we don't really need it. Companies, like people, should be allowed some autonomy to do their best.
What do you think would be some of the issues that would arise if this bill passes? Do you think this would open up a window for the feds to input more of their oh-so-helpful opinions into more ways that a company should run or compensate their employees?
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment