I think with the clip from Oceans 11 you see that their screening process is based on results. They know how each person will handle different situations and have a reputation for quality work. I think in reality the hiring process should be, and often is similar. You're not usually getting ready to rob a casino, but you still want to know how someone is going to handle a difficult customer/client/vendor. Reading the resume is seeing what they say they can do, the interview helps to see more of the person behind the skills, and testing or the training process help show if that person can live up to or improve upon the information that was on the resume.
We also talked a little about hiring staff (HR, managers, supervisors, etc.) checking social networking sites to see what the potential employees say about their job, how they speak to people, whether they put forth a responsible persona. I know that some people feel that this is a breach of privacy, but I think that if it's on the internet it's not private whether or not you have your account set to private. I have heard of interviewers asking to add interviewees as friends so the person who was interviewed will know that they are being looked at and also so then the info is really not private.
If you don't want your mom, your potential employer or your church leaders to know about it don't but it up on the internet.
Thursday, February 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I guess it should be the responsibility of the applicant to mark their info private, social networking sites allow this to an extent, but you can still tell a few things about a person from even a private setting on Facebook. Maybe someday they'll get in trouble for that, who knows.
ReplyDelete